There’s little doubt about the fact that the Cannes Film Festival is one of the most glamorous events on Earth, and at the heart of this opulent celebration of cinema, the amFAR Gala is a veritable glittering jewel of a party. Attended by the absolute elites of the moviemaking world, amFAR is a charity ball hosted by Cinema Against AIDS – a world-renowned philanthropic society – which has proven to be among the world’s most coveted annual events since its launch in 1993.
Attracting the creme de la creme of European and global high society, the amFAR Gala truly is one of the most exciting and sophisticated events in the luxury calendar. Held amid the peerlessly beautiful setting of Hotel Cap du Eden-Roc on the island of Antibes, it’s a remarkably exclusive and discreet gathering of some of the most influential individuals in the world. Expect live music from legendary performers, the chance to get up-close-and-personal with some of the planet’s most famous stars, incredible food and hospitality, and an evening that will simply never be forgotten.
The black tie event features an opulent Champagne reception and multi-course dinner, followed by a series of scheduled showcases and dazzling performances. At the centre of the gala, a major fashion show – curated by legendary fashion editor Carine Roitfeld – typically takes place, although plans for 2023’s gala are still under wraps.
One of the main draws to this charity ball is (as one might expect) a truly opulent auction, which has raised over $100 million to date. The live auction has, in the past, included items varying from a trip to space with Leonardo DiCaprio, artworks by Damien Hirst and Andy Warhol, the chance to star in a Karl Lagerfeld film, a family portrait by Annie Leibovitz, and a private performance by rock icons Duran Duran. Who knows what awe-inspiring offerings will feature on 2023’s auction list?
The amFAR Gala has its own VIP afterparty at the hotel venue, which is usually seen as a chance for the jetset to truly let their hair down in classic Riviera style. It’s a discrete event usually free of press, adding to the air of sophistication and privacy that typifies the gala in general.
The amFAR Gala has a tiered ticketing system based upon charitable donations. These are arranged as follows:
- Supporter ticket: dinner seating at a shared table, listed in program as a supporter
- Preferred ticket: dinner seating at a shared table, listed in program as a patron
- Benefactor Package: prime dinner seating for two at a shared table, listed in program as a benefactor
- Benefactor Table Package: preferred dinner seating at private table for 10 guests, listed in program as a benefactor
- Grand Benefactor Package: premium dinner seating at private table for 10, listed in program as Vice Chair
- Grand Philanthropist Package: prime choice dinner seating at a private table for 12, listed in program as Co-Chair
Tickets for the amFAR Gala afterparty only are also available.